First aid with your tax return: these are the 14 most frequently asked questions

1. I have received a simplified declaration proposal. What should I do?

Check carefully about your data correctly and completely to be. Is that the case? Then you do not have to do anything or send it back. No confirmation is required. You will receive your assessment notice with your tax calculation based on the information in this proposal.

Is your data incorrect or incompleteand then correct the proposal:

  • Or online via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web). You have until July 15, 2022 to do so. Read here how to do it.
  • Or via the paper answer form (if you have received your proposal by post). In that case, the form must be received by FPS Finance no later than 30 June 2022.
  • If you call an accountant, he or she has until 15 July 2022 to change your proposal via Tax-on-web.

“A tax return on the web with pre-entered data is not the same as a proposal for a simplified tax return. If you do not yet see a final calculation, it is a regular tax return that you still need to confirm.”, Notes De Inspecteur .

2. How do I verify that my proposal for a simplified statement is correct?

You can check your proposal using the list of the most common points of interest.

The statement accompanying the statement may be useful for more detailed information on the data included in the proposal.

If you need help, FPS Finance staff can help you by phone (and, if necessary, improve) your proposal. Call your tax office (“Private Center”) for this. Are you still working on paper? The telephone number is on the proposal that you have received by post.

3. I have not yet received my paper statement or my proposal for a simplified statement. Is it normal?

The declarations and proposals for simplified declarations are sent throughout the month of May. Do not want to wait? Your statement or proposal for a simplified statement is already available online through MyMinfin (Tax-on-Web).

Did you not receive anything in early June? So call your tax office and keep your identity card handy.

4. How do I access my statement or my proposed simplified statement in MyMinfin?

Go to and log in either with itsme or with your identity card, pin code and a card reader. Click “My Statement / My Simplified Statement Proposal” and go to Tax-on-Web.

5. I suddenly have to pay more or I get less reimbursement compared to last year. However, my situation has not changed. Why this difference?

One possible reason is the reduction in your withholding tax (which is deducted from your salary or pension each month). Check this out by comparing the size of your withholding tax from the previous two years.

Withholding tax is a kind of “advance” on the final amount of the tax. If you pay less withholding tax, it may affect the tax you have to pay or will be refunded to you.

6. When will I receive my refund?

FPS Finance must first inform you of the final calculation of the tax. This is done via the valuation notice that you receive between August 2022 and June 2023. The date of the refund is stated in your valuation notice.

7. I want help filling out my tax return. What can I do?

Do you have a question about a code, an amount or something else? Call your tax office to get all the necessary information.

Would you like your tax return filled out by an employee of FPS Finance? Then call 02 575 56 66 to book an appointment. Even if you have not yet received your statement, it is better to call as soon as possible to be sure to get an appointment at a time that suits you.

NOTE: Anyone who registers without an agreement at FPS Finance’s offices will not be helped.

8. How do I know what it will be: impose or come back?

If you receive a simplified declaration proposal, the size of your tax is stated in the proposal.

Are you submitting your tax return via MyMinfin (Tax-on-Web)? Before submitting your return: click on “Calculate taxes” in the menu at the top of the screen. If you have already submitted your tax return: in Tax-on-Web, click under “My Documents” on the “Calculate” button next to your tax return.

You can also calculate your taxes anonymously with the tool “Tax-Calc” from FPS Finans.

Please note: in all cases, this is an estimate of your tax. The (final) amount in your assessment report (tax calculation) can sometimes be different.

9. I have not yet received my pension statement. What should I do?

The Federal Pension Service no longer sends paper pension statements by mail. Your pension statement is always available online, via or via> My documents.

Do you still want to receive your pension statement by post? You can do this at the Federal Pension Service at (just enter your national number).

You do not need your pension statement to be able to submit your tax return:

  • if you have a proposal for a simplified statement, or if you use Tax-on-Web for your statement: The information provided is exactly the same as on your pension statement.
  • if you have your statement filled in by an employee of FPS Finance: the data that the employees have access to is exactly the same as on your pension statement.

10. How do I indicate the deduction of withholding tax on my exempt dividends?

You can have the withholding tax deducted from your exempt dividends set off against your personal income tax. Fill in the withholding tax withheld for the exempt dividends in code 1437/2437.

You can only settle withholding tax for a maximum of 800 euros in dividends. As the maximum withholding tax is 30 percent, you can therefore collect a maximum of 240 euros withheld withholding tax. It is therefore best to choose the exemption from dividends where the highest withholding tax rate is applied.

Here you will find information about the exemption from dividends.

11. How do I declare my mortgage?

It is recommended to use MyMinfin (Tax-on-web). Some codes are pre-filled. You will be guided step by step in filling in the other codes (in most cases). You have access to the proofs of your mortgages and life insurance policies.

See also the detailed explanation of the statement and the specific frequently asked questions for the mortgages.

12. How should I report my real estate located abroad?

From the assessment year 2022 (income 2021), the taxable income for foreign real estate is calculated in the same way as for real estate located in Belgium, namely on the basis of the cadastral income.

Do you use your home abroad for yourself and / or do you rent it out to private individuals?

  • Indicate the non-indexed cadastral income in your declaration under code 1106/2106 (Box III, A. 2).
  • Then enter the details of your property in point B of the same box.

If you have not yet reported the property abroad to FPS Finans, please do so as soon as possible (preferably via MyMinfin). You will then receive the cadastral income of your property.

13. I have income and / or an account abroad. How do I declare it?

If you have a foreign account, you must:

Have you received a proposal for a simplified declaration and do you have a foreign account? In that case, your proposal will no longer be valid and you will have to make a statement. Click here for more information on reporting foreign accounts.

Do you have income abroad? Then you have to declare it.

  • If you have income in Germany, Spain, France, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg or the Netherlands, you must use the application from FPS Finans.
  • If you want information per. income type, please see FAQ.

14. Can I have my tax return extended?

Are you afraid that you will not be able to submit your tax return on time? In special cases, you can get an additional submission period:

  • Your request must be substantiated in force majeure or valid reasons. It must be an event that you could not foresee or avoid and that happened without your will (a serious illness, the documents have disappeared due to theft or fire, your home’s cadastral income has not yet been determined …)
  • Your application must be received by the tax authorities before the normal submission deadline: June 30, 2021, if you want to submit your statement on paper or July 15, 2021, if you want to submit your statement via MyMinfin (Tax-on-Web).

Do you have a problem with your identity card or PIN and therefore can not access MyMinfin (Tax-on-web)? Then you can not get the delivery period extended. Try using itsme.

Call your tax office to request an additional application period. You must provide the following:

  • your last name, first name and country code
  • the way your tax return is filed: via the paper form or via Tax-on-Web
  • the reasons for your application
  • the date of the requested additional submission deadline

Your office will examine your application and notify you of an appointment or a denial. If you do not receive an extra deadline for submission (and your tax return is therefore not submitted on time), submit your tax return as soon as possible.

Leave a Comment