The Ferrero plant in Arlon was allowed to restart under conditions

The Ferrero plant in Arlon, in the province of Luxembourg, has received conditional permission from the federal food agency FASFC to restart. This was announced by FASFC on Friday.

The factory had to close its doors in early April after a salmonella contamination. More than 3,000 tons of Kinder chocolate products produced were recalled. The factory can be restarted from today / Friday 17 June.

The admission is valid for three months. Each batch produced and the raw materials will be analyzed during these three months. “If the analysis shows a consistent result, the products can be placed on the market,” reports FASFC. “If the results of the inspections after three months prove favorable, a final permit may be granted.”

The reopening on terms follows a thorough cleaning and after intensive food safety checks in collaboration with FASFC, the company itself confirms. ‘We are slowly starting up again on Friday, so all production lines will run again in a couple of weeks’, it reads.

Ferrero also says that concrete measures have been taken in the meantime to ensure that such a situation does not recur. More than 1,800 quality controls were performed, 10,000 parts were disassembled and cleaned, and significant investments were made. Several machines were replaced and 300 meters of new pipes were installed. ‘All processes with product safety, self-inspection and HACCP check were also adapted’, it reads.

“We are sincerely saddened by what happened and we would like to apologize to everyone who was affected. In our 75-year history, we have never experienced a situation like this,” said the company’s CEO, Lapo Civiletti. “We’ve learned a lot over the last period and are doing everything we can to make sure it does not happen again.” The financial consequences for the company would run into the tens of millions of euros, it was previously reported.

A judicial inquiry into the salmonella contamination is also underway. The Luxembourg Public Prosecutor’s Office has already carried out several house searches, in which computer equipment and documents have also been seized.

Worldwide, about 324 salmonella infections were associated with the plant in Arlon, of which 62 in Belgium. Most infections occurred in children: Four out of ten had to be hospitalized, no deaths were recorded. The factory employs about 725 people, during peak periods even more than 1,100. They have been paid their salaries in recent months, despite the closure of the site.

The factory had to close its doors in early April after a salmonella contamination. More than 3,000 tons of Kinder chocolate products produced were recalled. The factory can be restarted from today / Friday 17 June. The authorization is valid for three months. Each batch produced and the raw materials will be analyzed during these three months. “If the analysis shows a consistent result, the products can be placed on the market,” reports FASFC. “If the results of the inspections after three months prove favorable, a final permit may be granted.” The reopening on conditions takes place after a thorough cleaning and after intensive food safety checks in collaboration with FASFC, the company itself confirms. ‘We are slowly starting up again on Friday, so all production lines will run again in a couple of weeks’, it reads. Ferrero also says that concrete measures have been taken in the meantime to ensure that such a situation does not recur. More than 1,800 quality controls were performed, 10,000 parts were disassembled and cleaned, and significant investments were made. Several machines were replaced and 300 meters of new pipes were installed. ‘All procedures for product safety, self-inspection and HACCP checks have also been adapted,’ it reads. “We are sincerely saddened by what happened and we would like to apologize to everyone who was affected. In our 75-year history, we have never experienced a situation like this,” said the company’s CEO, Lapo Civiletti. “We’ve learned a lot over the last period and are doing everything we can to make sure it does not happen again.” The financial consequences for the company would run into tens of thousands of millions of euros, it was said earlier. A judicial investigation into the salmonella contamination is also underway. The Luxembourg Public Prosecutor’s Office has already carried out several house searches, in which computer equipment and documents have also been seized. Worldwide, about 324 salmonella infections were associated with the plant in Arlon, of which 62 in Belgium. Most infections occurred in children: Four out of ten had to be hospitalized, no deaths were recorded. The factory employs about 725 people, during peak periods even more than 1,100. They have been paid their salaries in recent months, despite the closure of the site.

Leave a Comment