We are looking for a new colleague who will contribute to the development of future-proof and hyperdistributed software ecosystems on top of the next generation of cloud and edge infrastructures and platforms.
Within Monitoring & Control Services (MCS), we prove both the feasibility and added value of innovative applications of digital technology to industry, energy and government through a first-time engineering approach with large-scale monitoring and control for complex systems. In our team you will work on projects that require the creation of architectures for distributed software systems, build proof-of-concepts based on internationally recognized reference architectures (eg Gaia-X, Open DEI, Digital Twin Dutch Consortium) and / or application of cloud technologies (both open source and managed functionality) that enable future digital and data-driven ecosystems. In our daily work, we see digital twins and complex model chains emerge across multiple organizations.
We work with governments, companies, service providers and non-governmental organizations in three focus areas – Industry & Infrastructure, Renewable Energy and Defense to create a more efficient, greener and more secure future. We are a very social group of applied researchers, consultants and project managers within IT systems and processes, as well as a number of systems integration experts based in Groningen and The Hague.
What do you want to do?
In your work, you go beyond the current state-of-the-art in distributed scalable applications, complex data-driven systems, digital twinning platforms, cloud and edge-native engineering and you develop a deep understanding of the (managed) service portfolio from the hyper-scalers (eg storage, database, cognitive, container services, etc.) and IaaS-level services that can be offered by smaller providers, as well as the complex System of Systems solutions for operating ever-expanding IT systems.
You think of solutions from a software prototyping perspective.
You work on several projects simultaneously and with colleagues from your own department and from other TNO departments and units.
You explore and theoretically determine the solution to a current or future problem in an innovative way and realize this so practically in the form of a proof of concept or demonstrator.
The most important thing is that you learn new technologies, gain new domain-specific knowledge and adapt it in your work.
How will you contribute to the world of the future? How big can your influence be? Come and work at TNO and see for yourself.
What we expect from you
- A Ph.D. or MSc. degree in computer science (or equivalent) and has completed courses in cloud computing, parallel computing, software design, big data platforms, data processing within IoT environments;
- Programming skills (some of Java, Python, Scala, Go, Rust, etc.) and open to learning new ones;
- Background in scalable solutions for data-driven systems;
- Knowledge of development environments and tools (IntelliJ, VSCode or PyCharm or IntelliJ, and CI / CD automation platforms such as Gitlab and GitHub, etc.);
- Experience with containerization and possibly orchestration tools in DevOps (such as Docker, Kubernetes, etc.).
Also preferred if you are someone who:
- Has practical experience in implementing applications across cloud platforms and a basic understanding of the managed services available in GCP, AWS and / or Azure;
- Has some practical experience with cloud and / or edge-native application development;
- Has experience working with Cyber-physical systems and digital twins.
What we offer you
In addition, you can put together a ‘menu’ of terms of employment at TNO that suits your personal situation. Whatever you can expect:
- A highly professional, innovative work environment, with top experts as colleagues.
- Opportunity to follow courses, trainings and workshops and to attend conferences, and coaching if you need it.
- 33 vacation days (with full-time employment).
- Travel money.
- Cozy activities with your team and other TNO employees. That way, you quickly get to know a lot of people.
- Flexible working hours and the opportunity to work from home.
- Networking opportunities and fun activities organized by Jong TNO.
- A good pension scheme.
Read here among which employment conditions you can choose.
TNO as employer
At TNO, we encourage a spacious work environment where you can be yourself. Whatever your story is and whatever unique qualities you bring. It is precisely by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Do you know more? Read what steps we are taking in diversity and inclusion.
What does the process look like?
You can respond until and including July 13, 2022. The application procedure consists of two rounds of interviews. The first round is scheduled for July 21, 2022. The second round is scheduled for July 26 and July 27, 2022. At a final meeting, we will discuss the employment conditions that you put together yourself. We strive to complete the entire procedure within four weeks. If we have received sufficient answers, it is possible that the vacancy will be closed earlier.
An online assessment and reference check can be part of the selection procedure.
Because you also have to work for clients in the field of defense and security, it is necessary for the AIVD to issue a Declaration of No Objection (VGB-B). Therefore, you need to undergo a safety check beforehand. You can read more about this here.
Has this position aroused anything in you?
Then we look forward to receiving your reply!
For more information about the job or procedure, please contact us.
recruits: Ruthilio Franken
Mobile phone: +31 (0) 6-24593202
Employment manager: Matthijs Vonder
phone number: +31 (0) 6-204 24263
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.