The Department of Strategic Communication and Marketing is looking for a communication specialist within research projects and science communication. Together with the science dissemination consultant, you will be involved in the dissemination of a number of interdisciplinary research programs within Leiden University. You support the projects with their communication questions, you want to create content yourself – write articles, image and web editing – and you help to prepare and execute communication plans for each research project. In short: an all-round scientific communication position where you will meet the full breadth of Leiden University’s research.
• Building and maintaining contacts for project managers and researchers for internal news gathering;
• Realization of (online) content: writing, editing and publishing news articles, web pages and other communications;
• Management and further development of (online) communication resources for each research project;
• Contribute to the development and implementation of communication plans for each project;
• Other communication support for project managers, eg at events;
• Positioning of the research projects within the university’s overall research field and vis-à-vis external stakeholders.
• You have completed a WO / HBO education in communication or journalism;
• You have a smooth pen and are creative in devising and making communication expressions;
• You already have experience writing and editing for the web and print in science communication or journalism;
• You have an excellent command of the Dutch and English languages (orally and in writing);
• You are stress resistant and have a proactive, results-oriented attitude;
• You understand how large complex organizations work, and you have a sense of (internal) organizational processes. You are able to work with a wide range of (internal) stakeholders;
• You combine strategic insight into the communication process with a pragmatic attitude: you easily translate wishes and plans into the right communication terms or platforms.
What we offer
Appointments are made in accordance with the collective agreement of employment of Dutch universities. This is a temporary position for a period of 1 year. Depending on education and work experience, the salary is a minimum of € 3,098 and a maximum of € 4,669 per month for full-time employment. Due to the temporary nature of the position, an agreement based on (internal) posting is possible.
In addition, Leiden University has good employment conditions. For example, there is an ultimobonus (8.3%), holiday allowance (8%), good training facilities, paid parental leave and the opportunity to choose tailor-made terms of employment via the election model. All information about this can be read at https://www.werkenbij.leidenuniv.nl
The Strategic Communications and Marketing Department (SC&M) is responsible for the development and implementation of Leiden University’s marketing and communications policy. She advises the Executive Board and provides support to the faculties of marketing and communication. In this way, she contributes to the realization of Leiden University’s strategic policy.
Information about the department for strategic communication and marketing can be found at:
Diversity and inclusion are core values for Leiden University. Leiden University strives to become an inclusive community where all students and staff feel valued and respected and can develop their full potential. We welcome diversity in experiences and perspectives as they enrich and strengthen our university community.
For more information on the content of this position, please contact Renée Merkx, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org 071-5276131.
An overview of interdisciplinary research programs within Leiden University can be found here https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/onderzoek/stimuleringsprogrammas.
You can apply via the ‘Apply’ button. Applications with position number and accompanied by motivation letter and CV can be sent to Renée Merkx, Director of Strategic Communication & Marketing, until and including 8 August 2022.